Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Lollie's Pizza Casserole


I did decide tonight that dinner was blog worthy. One of my favorite blogs that I visit posts recipes, so I think if I keep this up that I'll post recipes too. I took a lot of liberties with Lollie's recipe, so instead of posting hers, I'm going to do it the way that I did, but I will give her credit for this one.

Lollie's Pizza Casserole

1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small can of mushrooms
pepperoni slices (I just added what I had)
1 large can of pizza sauce
2 cups grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella, or a combination)
Top the Tater
1 can refrigerated crescent rolls

Brown the ground beef and chopped onion. Mix in the mushrooms, pizza sauce and pepperoni. Place into a baking dish. I used a 2 quart oval casserole dish (it's a pyrex one from the late 1950s that I bought on ebay). Sprinkle with cheese. Unroll the crescent rolls. Spread a layer of top the tator on each triangle, then roll up and place on the cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Lollie doubled the main ingredients and baked this in a 9x13 pan.


Our house smelled wonderful while this was baking. As predicted the girls were not impressed, but Paul was. I will confess that I did not use Top the Tater. I try not to keep that in my house because I find it rather addictive. Instead I doctored up some sour cream with chopped onion and garlic & onion powder. It was a good enough substitute. I think just plain old sour cream would have been good too.

I somehow found myself caught up in a Biggest Loser 2 marathon on Bravo today. I remember Mom talking about the final episode and how moving it was. They are currently on that episode. I've already found myself getting teary-eyed. It just kills me when they go home from the ranch and their families cry when they see how much they've changed. I don't think that Bob & Jillian would approve of the recipe that I just posted.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

What is "Top the Tater?" I have never heard of it.
Your casserole looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

You have not heard of Top the Tater? Where have you been? David would be outraged. It's by the sour cream. I will admit, it is the best chip dip around. David eats about a tablespoon of Top the Tater on one potato chip. It is dangerous stuff to hae around. Nancy

Shari said...

That's the same way I feel about Top the Tater. I could eat it by the spoonful.

Anonymous said...

It sounds dangerous. I will have to see if my little grocery store carries it but I'm not sure if I should buy it.... Laurie

Shari said...

I think Old home makes a version of it to. They are both in a green container. It's great on baked potatoes.