Sunday, April 27, 2008

Spring is on hold again.

We were lucky enough to avoid a foot of snow, but we still got wintry weather. It started to sleet on Friday and we had a couple inches of snow on the ground on Saturday. It was really windy and it snowed on and of all day. We just stayed home. There was very little traffic on the four lane so we took that to mean that the roads weren't so hot.

Today the sun is out and the wind went down. this last batch of snow should melt quickly. Normally I love spring, but this one has been the worst one that I can remember. I thought I'd be using my clothesline regularly, watching Carly play at the park, and running on the trail a few times a week. This had better be the last of the snow. I can't believe I'm saying that the last weekend of April.

I'm finally feeling better. I was sick all last week. It started on Monday morning and by Tuesday I was feeling awful - stuffed up head, ears popping, sore throat, constant nose blowing. I finally had the opportunity to use the neti pot I bought last year. It certainly does a good job clearing out your nasal passages, but I did not enjoy the process of actually using it very much. I stayed home from school on Wednesday. Friday was probably the only day at school that I wasn't miserable.

On Tuesday I had a scheduled appointment with my doctor to check out a mole on my neck that had taken on a life of it's own in the past couple of weeks. If you were to go to the picture of Al Franken and me (and really everyone should take a second look at that one, just for good times) you'd see a red spot on my neck. I've had this for a couple of years and really should have had a dermatologist take a look at it a while back. About 3 weeks ago I casually scratched my neck and made it bleed - a lot. This red bump became very swollen and I continued to have problems with it bleeding when I'd towel off after a shower or somehow rub it against something. There is only one dermatologist on the Iron Range and I couldn't get in with him until August. My final straw came when I took off the lanyard with my school ID in the car and made it bleed like crazy - thankfully I have a stash of Dairy Queen napkins in the glove box. I went straight home and made an appointment with my regular doctor. I also started wearing a bandage on my neck.

I went in Tuesday and Dr. Rudberg said he it looked like blood vessels had pooled around the cut and he scheduled me to see one of the clinic surgeons the next day - the day that I had already decided to call in sick - so that worked out well. The surgeon gave me a prescription for an antibiotic since the site of the wound was infected. He was pretty quick to cut out the offending spot and I have four stitches that will come out on Monday. I don't think the scarring will be too bad. It looks like it is healing up well.

This is the 4th time I've had a spot removed and then stitched up. They'll test it at the lab as well. It won't be the last I do this either. I hate this. I regret using tanning beds during the 90s and I really regret laying out in the sun all of those years. On Friday the "Today's Special Value" at QVC was a self tanner kit from Bare Minerals that should last the entire summer. I bought it. I like having a tan in the summer, but it's going to be a fake one from now on. I hope my girls do not inherit my skin issues and I'm glad that I have always been good about using sunscreen on them. As long as they live in my house, they will never use tanning beds. I don't care if it's prom time. I will pay to have them get a good spray tan.

No big plans for today - laundry, maybe buy groceries. I have the movie "She's the Man" from Netflix, so I'll watch that - I've been told it's funny. I hope to see very little snow on the ground at the end of the day.

5 comments:

Shari said...

Apparently someone doesn't know what a neti pot is so here is a link. Walgreens carries them.

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

Laurie said...

Wow, Shari, you had a pretty crummy week! I'm glad you got that mole off and that takes care of it. Glad you are feeling better too! Those tanning beds are pretty evil and I'm surprised people still use them as much as they do. Many of my coworkers do before they travel but some are smart enough to do the fake stuff like we do. Danette had a nice tan going and hers was fake too. I can't believe the snow here and the big blizzard we missed on Friday. At least we don't have to make up the day since they got the morning in. Morale was already pretty bad at school, hate to think of tomorrow morning's morale.

Anonymous said...

Okay, but theoretically, if one were in dire straits, could he/she poop in their neti pot?

Shari said...

It would be difficult. I'm starting to rethink allowing anonymous posters here.

Laurie said...

I took another look at your cookie recipe and I will try them later this afternoon or tomorrow. I have some peanut butter cups from Christmas that I can open up. I recently bought wheat flour and I see I can use that in the recipe so they'll be healthy cookies! I'll let you know how they turn out.