Sunday, April 6, 2008

Almond Toffee Popcorn


I finally decided to try a recipe that I've had for quite a while. I bought some of this at a bake sale last year and really liked it.

Almond Toffee Popcorn

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup popping corn (I used more and thought it turned out fine)

Pop corn in small of oil, do not salt. In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, water, and almonds. Cook over moderate heat to 280 degrees F on a candy thermometer - this took a little while. Add the vanilla extract. Stir well and pour over the popped corn, coat as thoroughly as possible.

It really impressed Carly when I popped popcorn on the stovetop. She had no idea you could do that. I used Orville Reddenbacher popcorn & oil and that stuff pops up really well. I made extra so she could eat some plain popcorn.

Notice the pretty blue bowl - a gift from Laurie's thrift shop that actually came from Kris's house. There is another bowl that goes with it. They look nice sitting on my navy counter top.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

The bowls do go nicely with your countertops! Looks yummy.