Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mine View Photos

There are some opportunities to play tourist in our area. While Paul, Ellen, and I went to a funeral, Nancy & David took the kids to the mine views in Nashwauk and in Hibbing. The above picture was taken at the Hull Rust Mine which is the largest open pit mine in the world. I always think it's a good idea to put people in front of the trucks when you are taking a picture because you get a better idea of just how big these trucks really are.

And you wouldn't appreciate just how big this scoop is if Nancy and Joey weren't inside of it.



Hmmm, I'm not sure how to get this one straightened. Just tip your head to the left.


I'm guessing this is at the mine view in Nashwauk. If you went into the backyard of the house where Paul grew up, you'd be able to see this same pit. I'll have to see if I have a picture of the pits. They look like a huge canyon. When going for a walk later that day Joey told me, "I saw the Grand Canyon today." When I asked him what he thought of it he said, "It was pretty cool."


Nancy said that Carly and Sophie spent a lot of time picking flowers at this park. It's a cute photo. They had lunch at Zimmys in downtown Hibbing. This whole outing was really fun for Carly. It's not very often that she goes off and does something without her family. She told them a couple of times, "I am having a great time!"

Not too much is going on here today. It was ridiculously windy yesterday and it's really windy again today. We got some rain and it looks like we'll get more. We've been watching the John Adams miniseries that was on HBO this past spring. We've watched six of the seven parts. Paul says he is not going to watch the final one because we know that John is going to experience "personal tragedies." We read the little preview for it. I think if he's invested this much time into it that he needs to toughen up and watch it.

I have a recipe for homemade pizza sauce that I am going to try out later today. It's pretty easy and if it's good I plan to make more of it and freeze it in freezer bags so that I have it on hand. I know it's pretty easy to just buy a can of pizza sauce, but I'm trying to be more of a make it on your own type of cook. If it's good I'll post the recipe.

We did buy airline tickets to Fort Myers for next June. In honor of that I'm changing the blog heading picture. We've never booked this early, but we have been following the advice you always hear on the news. If you find a great price, lock in. Now we can start looking for a place to rent - always the fun part.

4 comments:

Shari said...

I had to forward through one of the "personal tragedies." I found the medical treatments tough to watch in this show and there was one that I decided I really didn't need to see to appreciate the suffering of the paatient.

Laurie said...

It was sad when his wife died but I found it very interesting how close he and Jefferson died-very uncanny. I had to look away when they were cutting their arms for the small pox vaccine and the poor guy they got it from. His daughter's story was pretty tough, can't even imagine!
I like your new photo header!

Shari said...

It was the daughter's procedure that I jumped past. I watched the set up for it and was really squirming through that, so when it looked like they were about to start, I hit the button. I'm very thankful for good medical and dental care after watching it.

It was a good American history lesson. Partisan politics have been around since the very beginning of our country.

Laurie said...

I bet Joey & Sophie were just amazed! Carly too but I'm sure she's seen them before.