Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

I have wanted to make cinnamon rolls, but had not found a recipe that didn't make a ridiculous amount. The baking blog that I visit gave a link to this recipe so I thought I'd give it a try. I'd recommend this recipe, but I would make a couple of changes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ninety-Minute-Cinnamon-Rolls/Detail.aspx

First off, I used butter and not margarine. I don't buy stick margarine. I figure if you are going to use fat in your baking you might as well use the better tasting fat. A reminder that you are using rapid rise yeast and not regular yeast - it works a lot faster. I mixed and kneaded this in my Kitchen Aid mixer. Laurie, it is awesome for that. I added at least 1/2 a cup more flour than what the recipe called for. It was sticking to the sides of the bowl and you could easily tell it needed more.

There was way too much filling. It oozed out and fortunately I checked the oven before it started dripping. I put a baking sheet underneath it to catch it. I will make these again, but I will just butter the dough after it has been spread out and I'll sprinkle a combination of brown sugar and cinnamon over it before I roll it up. I definitely would not use a full stick of butter or an entire cup of brown sugar. I think because this was so easy and they really were good, it's worth trying again with some modifications.

I made homemade cream cheese frosting and it was the perfect topping for it. On Friday, I'm making red velvet cupcakes, so I'll use the remaining frosting for those.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh! No wonder you have to run so much.
Do you use the same attachment for mixing and kneading or do you switch over to the hook for kneading?

Shari said...

I use the dough hook for both. I use the mixer for making pizza dough too - very easy. It's during the summer that I play around with new recipes and it does provide an incentive to keep running.