Sunday, December 28, 2008

Thrifty Finds

On our trip to the Salvation Army in Morris, I had the best luck that I have ever had there. One of my finds was this Pyrex pitcher for 99 cents. It is not easy to find these with the covers. The price and condition are perfect. One of the lemon slices looks a little wonky in the picture, but it's just fine. It's currently being used as a water pitcher in the fridge. I have four Pyrex pitchers now and haven't paid more than $2.50 for one. I imagine that I'll always pick them up, so it's time for me to start thinking about who might need one.
Everything priced at over $1 was 1/2 price on Christmas Eve day. I got this 4 quart mixing bowl for $4. There is some minor scratching and a little bit of paint loss under one of the handles, but the color and condition of the bowl is great. This bowl is from the late 50s. I love the bright turquoise color.

I have three different bowls of this style & size (four actually, there is a yellow one in the cupboard). The brown one on the right isn't all that pretty on its own, but I think it looks pretty when it's next to the pink bowl. It was nice to use during the fall.


This was Laurie's yard sale find in Cyrus last June. She remembered me admiring this Fire King bowl at an antique shop a couple years ago. It's a great bowl and I was very happy to get it for Christmas. I love the polka dots! Thanks again. It's currently sitting on my kitchen counter.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Hi Shari,
The bowls look nice up there. The new aqua is great with the pink. Rachel Ray was using that aqua bowl on Friday afternoon-they had many shots of it. Today I passed up a Pyrex bowl in Fergus. It is the yellow one with the daisy on top. It was 2.99 and I had it in my cart but I kept thinking, where am I going to put this thing? I already have 2 in different patterns, same size so I left it for the next lucky person. If I didn't know you had it already I would have purchased it for you.

Shari said...

I love the daisy pattern. It's pretty popular on Ebay. Alton Brown and Bobby Flay have been known to use Pyrex bowls on their shows too. I think the old things have a fun retro look to them and it's fun that you can find it so cheap.