Sunday, December 7, 2008

Homemade Caramels


Caramel Recipe
2 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
1 C light corn syrup
1 C evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed)
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 C butter
1 1/2 tsp
  • Combine all except vanilla in a large, heavy pan. Stirring constantly, heat to exactly 250 degrees and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla (will bubble up). Pour into greased 10x15 pan and cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces and wrap with wax paper.

  • I found this recipe on-line today and thought I would give it a try. It was very easy and they turned out great. If you do try them I suggest that you put the phone next to the stove, turn the radio onto a good station, and start stirring. You will be standing at the stove stirring for a long time. You will not feel like you can leave it for even a minute without it burning on the bottom of the pan. I set the burner at medium and kept it there. I think it took at least 20 minutes to get to 250. I would also suggest that you make sure you have a wrapping assistant. I had Paul to help wrap them and that saved me a lot of time. I meant to put the wrapped caramels in a bowl and take a picture of them, but I didn't remember until about an hour after I put them in the freezer - I also read on-line that you can freeze them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm - Do you have a candy thermometer?

Shari said...

I do have one. I made another batch on Wednesday and had some trouble with it. It had a tiny crack at the bottom of it and I had condensation problems inside the glass making it darn near impossible to read. You don't really want to stick your face too close to the cauldron of bubbling lava you are stirring.

I thought I got it to 250 and I must have been a bit short because this batch was too soft. It tastes good, but it needed a little longer on the stove, but I didn't know I had thermometer problems until all ingredients were in the pan.

We're supposed to get up to a foot of snow today and it will continue to snow over night with windchills down to -35. I'm thinking I'll have a snow day tomorrow.