Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cold, Windy Weekend.

The weekend was pretty uneventful since it was so cold and windy. Our neighbor's flag was straight out and snapping all weekend. There is no reason to leave the house if you don't have to. I decided to put up a beach picture at the top of the blog in protest of this cold weather. I'd rather be there than here.

On Friday after school, I had a retirement party to attend. Our school secretary retired this week after 40 years with the district. She's a nice lady and lives less than two blocks from my house. I walk past her house all them time when it's not winter. I always stop and visit with her if she's out. I think our visits will be a bit longer now that I won't see her at work. Happy retirement, Celeste!

I did a couple exercise dvds over the weekend. I have been putting in extra effort since Christmas. Since I get three movies at a time from Netflix, I've been making a point to get one exercise dvd each week just to mix up the routine. The one I did today about killed me. I stepped on the scale today and I've lost 2 pounds since Christmas break without changing what I've been eating, so I think the effort has paid off.

We also had "Ferris Beuhler's Day Off" from Netflix. We watched it Saturday night. Ellen needs to be introduced to some of the "classics." She got a kick out of it. Paul and I enjoyed seeing it again too. When we finished it we immediately went to CNN to check for primary/caucus results.

This weekend we spent a lot of time watching election coverage on tv. Paul and I always pay attention, but since there is nothing else to watch on tv we know what every single network has to say about the Democratic race. I can never flip past a channel if Tim Russert is on. I don't really know what it says about me that Pat Buchanan and Joe Scarborough are the commentators that I enjoy the most after Tim. Paul jumped on the Obama bandwagon very early and he pulled me up there about two weeks ago. We're excited to see him doing well and hope that he has a good day on Tuesday as well.

We went to our local caucus last week thinking we'd be home in less than 15 minutes. We put in a full 90 minutes. In Keewatin they wouldn't let us vote and leave like they did everywhere else in the state. This was a social outing for many - an evening to discuss politics with people in your community. We didn't vote until after 7:30. There were 18 people at the meeting - 11 Hillary supporters and 7 for Barack. The guy running the meeting (who kept saying Arizona instead of Minnesota) wanted people to talk about the candidates they were supporting and why in case there were a few undecided in the room. A guy a couple rows up for me explained why he was supporting Obama and I agreed with everything he said, but I thought there was a little to add, so I spoke out for Barack Obama. I wasn't too nervous about it since Paul and I have been practicing in our living room for weeks. I don't usually do things like that. Kayla's mom, Laura, went with us. We had quite a few open slots for delegates to our county convention, so Laura and I are going to go. We figure it can't be worse than the 6 hours we spent watching Kayla and Ellen play volleyball one afternoon. At the end of the meeting they were talking about Al Franken and why he would be good for our state and the guy in charge said, "We have got to start electing people who will stand up for Arizona!" You're damn right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always felt that Arizona tends to be a neglected state. Also, I've only been to two caucuses(Ktown & Morris) in my life, but in both of them we had to have a lot of discussion so I think that's what you are supposed to do, otherwise it would just be a primary. So your group in Keewatin probably did it right.
Also, Dan thinks that you just might be a Republican given your commentator choices. :) Or maybe you're just "fair and balanced" like Fox.
Laurie