Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Years


On New Years Eve, Paul and I went to a party at Blake & Sarah Liend's house. They live about three blocks from our place. A few other couples were there - most of them are fire department connections. There was good food, good company, and a lot of laughs. Paul and I were home by about 12:30. It's nice having Ellen old enough to babysit her sister. I had Ellen snap a picture of us before we left. I'm wearing my new shirt from Town & Country in Morris (a hardware store).
_
We really didn't do anything on New Years Day. Carly watched part of the Rose Parade and I watched another episode of the show Mad Men. Dan had told me that I had to get it in my Netflix queue and I wish that I would have put two discs at the top of my queue. Now I have to wait until Monday at the earliest to watch another episode.
_
Yesterday Paul, Carly, and I made a run to Grand Rapids. Paul wants to buy an electric fireplace for downstairs and there is a place in Grand Rapids that carries them. We then made a trip to Target where Carly spent a bit of her birthday money. She bought a pair of Baby Alive twin dolls. It worked out well that what she wanted was 50% off and she only had to pay $15. She still has a good chunk of birthday cash left.
_
I had received a call from the Knights of Columbus in Nashwauk a couple of weeks ago about donating blood during a blood drive in Nashwauk. So yesterday was donation day. I don't know why I don't do this more often. Actually I do know. I passed out after donating blood once in college and I have to work up a lot of nerve to agree to do it. So I did it and it went well. One of my coworkers was in the bloodmobile the same time I was making a donation. My New Years resolution is to donate blood at least once more this year. Paul has never done it before and says he'll go in with me next time. I have type O blood and it is always in demand, so I really do need to become a regular rather than a sporadic donor. I would recommend that you go in to give blood just so that you can hear the list of incredibly personal questions they ask you. I cannot get through it without giggling.
_
We also went out to eat at Sammy's Pizza for Paul's birthday. We figured we'd better go out on Friday rather than wait until Saturday. We're supposed to get up to a foot of snow. I'll do a birthday post later.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday, Paul!!!!
Love, Laurie & Dan

Ellen said...

If we get a foot of snow will school be cancelled?

Shari said...

No, they'll have plenty of time to clean up the roads before school starts.

Laurie said...

How much snow did you guys end up with? How cold is it? We're at 0. Go Vikings!!

Laurie said...

I really like your new hairstyle.

Laurie said...

Jenny blogged your cookies with a cute picture, you will have to check it out.

Shari said...

Thanks for the hair compliment. I was scrolling back in the blog and had to stop and take a look at my hair in a picture from February. I was surprised at how different I look.